Who can apply for Master TRIBOS programme?

Students from all countries can apply to the Erasmus Mundus TRIBOS Master program. To be eligible you have to fulfil the Admission criteria provided here.


Am I eligible for TRIBOS, if I finished school of economics, law or social sciences?

No, only candidates with a background in engineering, materials science, physical sciences or chemistry are eligible. You can find more information here.


What do I need to apply for the Master TRIBOS programme?

The documents that you will need to provide for the application are listed and explained here.


How can I apply for the Master TRIBOS programme?

First you have to register on http://application.master-tribos.eu/ internet page, by clicking on Register button.

You will be asked to choose the programme you are applying for and provide some personal details.

After doing so, you will get a conformational e-mail with your account details - username and password.

With this information you can enter the http://application.master-tribos.eu/ page and star fulfilling your application form.


How do I fill the application form?

Follow the instructions that are written on every section of your application form.

Fields marked with red star are mandatory. That means that you cannot finish your application without providing this information.


Can I just send a paper application?

No, you must fulfil online application form.


Can I enrol in the programme part-time?

No. The TRIBOS master programme is a full-time programme.


Can I apply to TRIBOS, if I did not finish my Bachelor degree?

You can apply, but you have to provide a guarantee that you will obtain your BSc no later than until the end of May. The guarantee is a form (found here) signed by a corresponding authority from your University. Please provide with the application as much information as possible (transcript of records, field of study etc.) to enable a competitive evaluation of your application against other applicants.


Can I still apply if I will graduate after 31st of May?

No, unfortunately the 31st of May is the last possible date for sending us a copy of the obtained degree.


Who needs Proof of English knowledge?

Proof of English knowledge is required for students from non-English speaking countries. Students from non-English speaking countries are required to have obtained the IELTS certificate or TOEFL certificate. No other form of proof will be recognized. More information is available here.


I don’t have my English certificate yet. Can I apply anyway?

To complete the application English test certificate is not mandatory. If you don't have an English certificate yet you must provide the date when you plan to take the test. Deadline for English certificate is MAY 2018!


Can I apply if my IELTS/TOEFL score is not sufficient?

You can still apply, but you will have to retake the exam as soon as possible to achieve an adequate score to be able to enrol into the TRIBOS programme. Please note that the evaluation score of the English knowledge criteria in case of insufficient IELTS/TOEFL score will be at a minimum. Nevertheless, please indicate in your application, when you will be able to provide a new IELTS/TOEFL score.

More information can be found here.


Can I apply if I don’t yet have IELTS/TOEFL results?

You can still apply, but the candidates who can provide the required English certificate in time have an advantage and your evaluation score of the English knowledge criteria will be at a minimum. You are also required to indicate in your application, when you will be able to provide a new IELTS/TOEFL score. More information can be found here.


Can I apply if I passed another English test, not IELTS or TOEFL?

No, no other form of proof will be recognized. You have to obtain an IELTS or a TOEFL certificate.


If I submit my English certificate results after 30th of April (the application deadline), but still within the final deadline of May 2018, will my English certificate scores be factored in the evaluation?

The candidates who can provide the required English certificate in time have an advantage and you will, therefore, loose a few points.

The evaluation of candidates takes place some time in May (depending on the date of the consortium meeting, which is arranged on a year to year basis). At that point the candidates are ranked according to available documents and the rankings are forwarded to EU commission. After that no new documents can be factored into the evaluation.


What is »Proof of no criminal record« and where can I obtain it?

Proof of no criminal record is a document stating you do not have a criminal record and you were not persecuted for a crime. It can be obtained at the local police station or at the court office, depending on the country. It must be obtained from your home country, not from your current country of residence.  If it is not in English, it must be officially translated into English. If it is costly or complicated for you to acquire the document, you can apply without it. However, if you are chosen for the programme, you will be asked to provide the document in an agreed-upon form.


Is a confirmation of my professors, mentors, education institution or employer sufficient as the proof of no criminal conviction?

No, you should obtain an official proof. Usually it is issued at a police station, which is responsible for your area of residence.


Will my application be considered if I do not have the Proof of non-criminal conviction?

Yes, you can still apply and your application will be considered, but you have to obtain and provide the Proof of non-criminal conviction as soon as possible (the latest until the end of June). Please indicate in your application that you will provide the Proof of non-criminal conviction at a later time and when.


When they are not written in English, is it sufficient to upload the original documents of Bachelor Degree, proof of no criminal conviction, etc. or do the documents have to be translated officially?

The documents have to be officially issued in English or officially translated to English language. Only official documents in English language will be considered in the application procedure.


In the application form, under the information about obtained/expected education, do I write which education I will have obtained in the current institution, where I am enrolled in the education that I will obtain when I finish the TRIBOS programme?


You have to write what education/degree you will finish in your current institution (before going to TRIBOS).


If I want to submit my application by the 30th of April (application deadline) but do not have all the required documents yet, what should I do?

You can upload the English certificate or the Proof of no criminal record later. Instead, upload a blank PDF document with a statement, that you will obtain the documents in question later (explain the reason for the delay and include the expected date of acquiring the documents) in the appropriate section of the application. Send the documents via e-mail as soon as possible.


What if my programme scores are not based on the ECTS system?

If your educational programme does not use the ECTS system, upload your transcript of records and the scores will be converted into appropriate ECTS values during the evaluation procedure. Your transcript of records must be officially translated into English.


Are any expenses for the application documents reimbursed?

No, expenses for the application documents are not reimbursed.


What is the deadline for the application to TRIBOS?

30th of April 2018.


How do I know if my application was correctly submitted?

After successfully completing and sending the online application form, you will receive a conformation via e-mail. Please be sure that you have entered a valid e-mail address. If not, please contact our technical support.


What if I didn’t receive your e-mail?

Did you enter a valid email address? Check your emails spam file.

If everything is working and you still didn't receive our e-mail please contact Master TRIBOS Administrative Manager.


How will I know if I was accepted to master TRIBOS programme?

You will get an acceptance e-mail in May of the year that you have applied to TRIBOS.





What is an ECTS and what are ECTS credit points?

The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a student-centred system based on the student workload required to achieve the objectives of a programme of study. Its aim is to facilitate the recognition of study periods undertaken by mobile students through the transfer of credits. The ECTS is based on the principle that 60 credits are equivalent to the workload of full-time student during one academic year.

More information can be found here.


Does the joint TRIBOS degree have any advantages over other comparable degrees?

The TRIBOS Joint Master Degree is one of a few truly Joint Master Degrees in Europe signed and completely approved by 4 Partner Universities: University of Ljubljana (Slovenia), University of Leeds (UK), University of Coimbra (Portugal) and Luleå University of Technology (Sweeden). It is recognized in a wider European area, where TRIBOS is the only Master’s programme providing students with knowledge and skills related to tribology of surfaces and interfaces. Based on the supporting partners of the TRIBOS consortium, the TRIBOS Joint Master Degree offers their graduates excellent employability opportunities.


How do I choose my study track, whether to go to the University of Coimbra or Luleå University of Technology?

You will learn about the available topics for the Master theses in the 2nd semester of your studies. Based on your preferences and the rank of the other students you will be assigned to study at the University of Coimbra or Luleå University of Technology (on the basis of “the best student has the first choice).


Is there any official help for arranging the internships?

You are responsible for arranging yourself the internship at a company or institution of your liking. The TRIBOS Consortium can provide you with a recommendation letter or with a help through any existing contacts at a particular company / institution. However, you have to act proactively to find an internship possibility, contact the company / institution and arrange for your work plan there.




I was accepted to TRIBOS programme. What now?

You should receive further instructions over e-mail. Don’t forget about VISA and accommodation.


Will somebody help me find an apartment when going to Leeds or other cities?

Generally you are responsible for arranging your own accommodation. However, once enrolled into TRIBOS, you will be able to consult Student departments and Foreigners departments, which will be able to offer you some advice in this respect.


Should I find an apartment prior coming to Leeds?

It is recommended that you arrange for the accommodation before arriving to UK. However, you can also book a hostel (or similar) first and look for other accommodation options once you are already in the UK.


Where can I find safe and relevant internet site to search for apartment prior reaching Leeds?

Once you are enrolled into TRIBOS, you will be able to consult Student departments and Foreigners departments, which will be able to offer you some advice in this respect.


If I need a visa for UK and other European countries, should I apply for regular visa or short-term visa?

Since the semester lasts for about 5 months, you should apply for short-term UK visa. If your UK visa is approved, visas for Slovenia, Sweden and Portugal are usually granted as well, as the UK has the strictest visa requirements and is not within the Schengen area.


What if I need healthcare during my stay in one of the countries?

You will have a valid health insurance for the duration of your study, which should cover everything you may need.